Friday, May 30, 2008

in a year's time

So much can happen in a year's time. And so much has happened! My Americorps adventure is over now. I talked to Addie and Jenn last night. Sweet Addie called me to see how home was and tell me she missed me. I do miss my team.
I know that the 2 breaks i had during americorps, i didn't hesitate to blow off any connection i may have had with my teammates, and sort of happiness i had in this program. i was just happy to be home, with my friends and family. But now that it's really over, and the people i lived and worked with so closely for the last 8 months might easily end up among the ranks of those close friends that fall by the wayside as life moves on, i find myself feeling much more attached to those people. They were my friends and my family and my coworkers and my teammates. I trust that there are at least 3 among their ranks that i will see again. And another 3 or 4 i'd very much like to see again. I can say with confidence that i will now have a place to crash in each corner of the country.

I remember a couple years ago, expressing a sentiment of wondering. I commented that the people i know now have made such an impact on my life, and how many people i will meet that i don't yet know who will have an even greater impact on me.

And how many there have been!
I'm excited to move on. I don't feel trapped into a path whose direction i don't like anymore. I feel once again like i have the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. But unlike before, it doesn't feel like a burden anymore, it simply feels like the freedom it is. I'm so lucky! I'm nearly 24, with a college degree, energy, and experience and a desire to experience life to the fullest. How many places i can go with that!!

So yes, i'm glad that Americorps is over, at least for me. There may be consequences later on for this decision, but I can say with a lot of confidence, this was the right decision for me right now.

No comments: