Saturday, June 28, 2008

It has begun

The first session of camp at Harriman Lodge is in full swing. And fully crazy. I'm not sure how this works, but somehow all of the time i spent volunteering my time and serving my community this year made me less compassionate and less patient with the guests of Harriman Lodge.
So it's been something of a refresher course. I'm sure it's going to get better. I'll get better. I'll fall back into it more as the days go on. I'm getting impatient with the staff, wishing they'd get it earlier. I guess it's the same way i've felt in situations when i had to train a second or third round of people to do something.
Liya, my crazy Russian, has finally arrived. So, for me, the summer has finally begun. Whatever else happens, I'm ready for it. I miss the rest of the support system i had built last year, the friendships, connections, and fellow adventure seekers. But i'm trying my best to be patient and let things work themselves out. I've been trying to not force friendships with anyone, just be as nice to everyone as i can. No serious connections yet. But i remember, my first year, it didn't happen like that. So i'll wait.

Does anyone still read this thing, now that i've jumped ship from americorps?

2 comments:

Abster said...

Hey Amanda,
I still read this! ('cause you are always more interesting then whatever i'm supposed to be doing :-P )
I'm sorry that camp is frustrating, but it will get better, and there is alway JC to visit if you need a break!
hugs!

Lauraliz said...

yes of course :)