Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Dull Sacramento

After taking the light rail into downtown Sacramento 2 days in a row, i think it's safe for me to say that 1. the light rail is easy to use and quite convenient (only a one mile walk!) and 2. Sacramento is boring.
That isn't to say that i've given up on it. I'm determined to find something valuable in this new city of mine. It must have something interesting to offer, right? Some artsy neighborhood or something...

I did determine yesterday when i was in Sacramento that everyone here is nicer than me. That's probably not actually true. And I like to think of myself as a fairly nice person, but i have never been very good at witholding my opinions. Like yesterday when we went into one restaurant for a potential lunch spot, but discovered that it would've been impossible to pay less than 15 dollars for a meal. Everyone was kinda like, ho hum, i suppose that's fine. And i said "i think that's a little bit more than i want to pay for lunch." so we went somewhere else. I really don't see anything wrong with that sort of expressing of my opinions, but i feel like an alien doing it when no one else is!!
I'm also pretty sure most of the time i'm the only cynical person here. I also know this isn't true.. I've in fact made friends with the one person here who is more cynical than me. She and i get along quite well. But around everyone else, i feel myself tip-toeing. and i know that everyone's doing that right now, none of us know each other very well... but i don't like it and i'm not good at it.

Final piece of news, I got to have decent length phone conversations with my dad, Autumn, and Kateri yesterday throughout the evening. I don't think i even realized how homesick i was, but to be able to talk to people i loved, it became blaringly obvious to me how much i miss everyone at home.... or wherever they are. And as i thought of that this morning, and started thinking maybe i want to go home, i realized that of the 4 people i talked to yesterday (yes, i can do math, i talked to Laura online) they are in 4 different places, no one closer than 3 hours away from each other. So while my friends are spread out literally all over the world, there is no reason for me to run home. I need to just embrace this adventure that i'm currently on and make the most of it. But it doesn't mean i can't miss people.

One last thing: I have my introduction to PT this afternoon. So i'll be able to determine fully how well i'll be able to handle this whole 5:30 am PT thing after today. I'm trying very hard to be optimistic. Think happy thoughts for me at about 4 pm California time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear from others that the beauty of Sacramento is in the surrounding countryside. Like the American River?

Take a deep breath and enjoy the run.....you'll do fine.